Monday, September 10, 2012

Biking

I feel famous. And athletic.

And it's because I've been biking with my friend, Iron Mom.

Have you heard of her? Her name is Shawna. She's talented. And kind. And one of the most accomplished triathletes I know. Many of us always joke that she could be running a triathlon, pushing a double stroller, conducting a stake young women's meeting & stirring a batch of homemade "cafe rio" chicken salad all at the same time.

{Sharon, Shawna, B, Sarah, and Alisa}
On my birthday, she organized the ladies at church for me by planning a "breakfast bike ride". It was so humbling to see this unfold - these women offered me a gourmet breakfast at Normandy restaurant, babysitting, companionship on bike rides (worth so much to me!), homemade baked goods, photography sessions, handmade jewelry, and cold stone gift cards. So fun, right? (Especially when all these women are mega-talented!) Well, truth is, I loved it. Haha! :) We met up at Seven-Eleven, and we surprisingly biked further than I thought we would. It was so easy to keep going because we were chatting away & having great conversation and enjoying the beautiful scenery and fresh air. It felt exhilarating & therapeutic. There is just something about moving that helps to make your mind clear & full of energy. And, afterwards I felt powerful & even younger! (Yes! It does something to my I-feel-young-endorphins in just one bike ride.) I highly recommend it to anyone turning forty this year! (Or at least some other form of great exercise.) I look forward to our bike rides every week. But this one was something special.