Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Celebration of Life

I sat on my bed, but turned on the TV in time to see the unbelievable-- The plane crashing into the second building of the Twin Towers. I remember it vividly and whenever I retell this story the image pops up in my head, without fail. I still see the explosion of the tower. I still see the bursting red flames and clouds of gray.

{9/11 Memorial}

I remember that while visiting the 9/11 memorial in July thinking about all the names on the walls. The majority of them having perished in the attack, some whose remains were never found. Each name was a haunting reminder of not only how many lives were lost, but of how many people loved them, and how their hope dwindled of ever finding them again.

I sat down today with my boys and turned on the news and we talked about seeing the aftermath-- the World Trade Center collapse. I told Max about how school was cancelled the next day. And how the next weeks were filled with sadness and confusion.

I can never forget. And I never will. I have been there.


{Freedom Tower as it was almost completed in July}

All I can say is that I'm proud to have been able to see the memorial in New York City. A city so strong that it can never let what happened crush the spirit that makes it so great and so powerful. I truly love New York. We all remember on September 11th.



I recently read that this mosaic is more than fun and sparkles, its a beautiful memorial, “a celebration of life, [to] share with… neighbors and people who pass by to cheer them.” After 9/11, Brooklyn artist Susan Gardner began gluing bits of jewelry, mirror, and beads to her outside Brooklyn brownstone walls and has been adding to it ever since. Neighbors and visitors are known to leave broken dishes or jewelry to be added to the mosaic, I wish I would have known when I was in New York. If I passed by 108 Wyckoff Street, I would have left a little something shiny. http://blog.linseylaidlaw.com/2012/09/11/bedazzled-brownstone/




I love you, New York!