Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Reality

My friend and sister-in-law, Robyn, moved here from Texas last week and when I went over to help her unpack last Sunday night she made a delicious lasagna for dinner and her darling daughter, Maddie, made me a chocolate cake to celebrate my birthday.

{Markus and Max with their cousin Nick
 and his awesome dog - Boston}
Some of the realities of getting divorced are just starting to hit me. When people that have been my friends and family for the past twenty plus years are all suddenly not family anymore. They are still my friends I hold dear. During my marriage I sometimes felt distant from my family because I was so preoccupied with my children and between that and my crumbling marriage - it was all consuming. And for nearly all of this time, I hadn't told my family what was going on, which only increased the distance. But after I filed for divorce, my friend, Olivia, told me so lovingly to tell my family. She said I would become much closer to them and she was right. It is an amazing experience, to feel, the entire family as they join together to support me. My parents & sisters call all the time to see how I am doing. My mom called today and I know I am really lucky, because she gave me all the encouragement in the world. They are helping to ground me if I need it. I was afraid to tell them as if I didn't feel I had a family that could support me in a healthy way during this time, oh boy was I wrong! I reached out to my family I love & admire. I choose to surround myself with people that will uplift me.