Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Magical Night Under the Stars



Yesterday, my smart niece hit twelve. And this morning after her 12th birthday party last night, I caught a glimpse of my niece that left me gripping the kitchen counter and shaking my head.
{A magical night watching a movie under the stars}
{And paint on tattoos with friends}

Suddenly I saw her: a burst of colorful style bounding into the kitchen—the scent of teenage grooming quickly overpowering the smell of blueberry pancakes her mom and I were making. I saw her nails, cut short and square with vibrant polish, grabbing a berry. She was going out on the patio with her two girlfriends to sit and chat. And there she went. With barely a wave, the door shut, and I was left in silence wondering who was that beautiful girl; she seemed so unfamiliar.

I took my yogurt outside to eat on the patio and listened to her friends talk about "asking boys out". And when I finally found my breath after that, I felt a sudden urgency to soak up my sons in the present. And that’s when it became clear—what I wanted to do with the time that I am given … before I look up from the kitchen counter and my ten-year-old son is sixteen.







Before Max turns 16 and everything changes. 
I want to watch them laugh until tears come to their eyes before I am not both their favorite audience.
I want to look into their sweet eyes and ask, “What are you thinking about?” before I am no longer invited to hear their thoughts, worries, and fears.



Before she asks my opinion about which Henna tattoo to put on...or not.



{My sister Sheri and her magazine worthy spread of sushi and "magic beans" (Edamame)}

{Hanging Chinese lanterns} 

{My sweet little bunnies!}

{Connor has two pet bunnies, Snowball}

{And Snowflake. I'm not sure how he tells them apart!}

This is what my day looked like today. One of my favorite weekends of the summer is the night I take my boys to visit their fun cousins. I find myself wanting to soak up every sight, sound, smell, and taste of the experience. Before they grow up and lose the magic of pet bunnies and watching movies under the stars.