Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Right Now

Today the boys wanted to go to Seven Peaks again before summer was over and school starts on Monday. But when we arrived there, the parking lot was empty and the gates were all locked. Apparently since some school districts started this week, they decided to close early. We did not give up however, since we already had our swimsuits on we tried the local outdoor pool but to no avail. Same story, different location. Finally we tried the indoor pool and this time found some water to swim in. Even though summer isn't officially over until September 21st, this summer I spent a lot of time loving my boys “as is.” No comparisons to their brothers; no thoughts of what skills they need to have mastered by a certain date; no worries for problems they may never encounter—just loving them right where they are now, today.


{Today is all we know for sure that we really have.}
To my boys: Today I took a few extra seconds to kiss the top of your head before you go. I said, “I’m sorry,” and “I love you” because they are life changing, comforting, and healing words. I chose to focus less on your faults and more on your smiles and sense of humor because they light up your face. I listened to your words and stories without judgment and impatience. I gave you a little extra time to shower and fix your hair just right, and listen to your knock-knock joke. I caught a glimpse of you that suddenly reminded me how much of a miracle you are. I remembered you are more than your achievements, more than your academic performance, and more than your behavior. I hope you saw my eyes light up, not because of something you did, but simply because of who you are. I want you going to bed knowing life is better because of you.
Today I wish you to fall asleep feeling loved right now, today, just as you are.