Thursday, August 22, 2013

I Love My Sister

I had fun last weekend, even though our little vacation with my sister and her fiancé was cut short by the fire. I’m beyond nervous and I can hardly wait for the text from her every day saying that she has been able to return to her home or start teaching again. This is going on six days in a row! As I have been thinking of things I can do to help her, I have been thinking a lot about my sister.
Skating has been my career, so I love referring students to her when they go up there: I do love my sister, so very much.
She is my best friend and my rock. My life would not be complete without her. She is kind, talented, giving, funny and unbelievably strong. I look up to her and admire her for what a great coach, (soon to be) wife, friend and sister she is.
One completely happy moment we had was shortly before having my second child. She had gone shopping with me to walk around and get my labor going - as I was five days over due. After she talked me in to getting my ears pierced, we talked about the unknown gender of my baby and I told her how I'd like to have another boy. To that she said, “If you have a boy, then Morgen can have what we have.” We both started crying.
My boys are so lucky that they have each other. Having a sibling is one of the greatest gifts in this world. I’m grateful for all mine and love them with all of my heart.
Last year, when I was beginning my journey to be more healthy and making a lot of big changes in my life to do just that, my beautiful sister wrote me a special note. I think this is great advice for anyone:
“I just wanted to send you an email to let you know what a great mom I think you are!  I can’t imagine how hard it is to juggle work, family and friends.  Talking with you today about feeling guilty about how much time you spend with your boys and family made me think of something.  No matter how much time you spend with your kids and family you will still have mommy guilt and think you should spend more time!  Even though I don't have kids yet, I still feel guilty sometimes.  I don’t think that feeling will ever go away.  We just need to know in the end only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you. You have handsome, smart, energetic, intelligent and outgoing boys… they are such a reflection of you and what a great job you do.  I love you so much and admire you even more for the wonderful person and mom that you are.”
When I helped her pack her things on Friday before the mandatory evacuation she said, "Just remember. You aren't what you OWN."
I love my sister. If you are lucky enough to have siblings, too, tell them how important they are to you.