Saturday, January 2, 2010

Million dollar baby




When I got to the hospital this morning they were just wheeling Connor into surgery. I hugged Sheri and told her I was so sorry (for about the 20th time). The Dr. said it should take about 1 hour and 45 minutes, so we just sat and talked in the PICU waiting room. Shane is worried about how much all of this is going to cost. I told him the nurse last night was telling me that life flight runs about $15,000. But that because of the condition that Connor has been diagnosed with he will be able to qualify for disability Medicaid, so even after their insurance is maxed out at 1 million, the Medicaid will cover it. The intensive care nurse said it will reach over the million mark.




Sheri is not in the least bit concerned about the cost of anything of course; just that he is going to live. When they told her that his heart will give out by the time he is 15, she said, "That is okay, I will take 15 years over the 15 minutes the other hospital told me I would have with him." She is so strong, I would be a complete wreck I am afraid, but she just seems so composed, and asking questions of all the nurses and Dr.'s.



Amazing strength - Connor seems to have it too. He made it through his first surgery that lasted a little over 2 hours. When I left 2 hours after he came out of the surgery he still hadn't regained consciousness. He was just breathing with the ventilator. But he did finally wake up at about 7:30 this evening. My sister Lara called to tell me, they are staying at her house since she lives right by the U.



Sheri's friend Ashley packed up all of the kids in Preston yesterday, as they were all with Sheri and Shane for the Christmas break, and delivered Tori and Nadie back to their dad in Farmington. Shane's ex-wife's parents came up to the hospital to pick up Michael and McKenna and take them back to Arizona this morning. Ashley is keeping Josslyn at Lara's house so that Sheri can still see her once in awhile and Whitney came over to our house to play with the boys and get her mind off of everything that is going on with her little brother.