Monday, October 17, 2011

On My Knees


I’ve realized that, in many ways, this has been my mantra for life. Consequently, I have often caused myself more pain by trying too hard to keep my existence as perfect and pain-free as possible. Until one day in July, when my boat was rocked. Today was enough to make me feel like I would lose it, especially because I was already feeling at my limit.

By tonight, all I could do was fall to my knees. And pray.

Please. I can’t do this! I need some help.
Back in July, on the next morning, I woke up, and with deep gratitude in my heart, realized the pain was gone. But it came back. And it keeps coming back. I have realized that I have two choices. I can fight against this and tell myself I can’t do it, or I can learn to accept it.

With the help of heaven, I am working to do just that.

And as I write this, I realize that perhaps my prayer was answered, just in a different way. I am finding relief from the heavy burden of thinking my life should be as pain-free as possible (and that if it isn’t, I must be doing something wrong). And I am finding that faith isn’t always about removing afflictions. Sometimes it’s about turning to God in a way that enables me to endure my afflictions with more grace and patience.

I don’t love my trials yet, but I’m learning to embrace them a little more, and to try to let go and let God.

Please tell me, what has helped you find strength in times of difficulty?