Monday, June 10, 2013

Do-Overs

Hi. I don’t have any advice to give, but I have plenty of “keep your marriage from ending advice", and that might be almost as good. Since it is what would have been my 21st wedding anniversary tomorrow and since the only person in my family that hasn't been married yet is Darlin, I am writing this with her in mind. And so, with that, I give you my “advice list” for my little sister. You know… things I wish I would have known or done differently so that I didn't end up divorced. I call it my “What Not To Do in Marriage” list. Here goes...

Do not:
  • tell him what he could do better 
  • call him a control freak
  • yell from downstairs to ask him to bring the diaper bag/blankets/whatever
  • be in charge of and/or budget the money
  • stop going out with each other
  • be fake
  • stop communicating especially when you're upset about something
  • "roast" him
  • play the martyr
  • find distractions when he is home
  • feel hurt and upset when the only time he touches you is for sex
  • think that sarcasm is the same as having a sense of humor
  • kill your own spiders 
  • be a know it all
  • live by his family - or yours - at least for a couple of years
  • ask him what he is thinking when he clearly doesn't want to talk about it
  • assume he will be different than his dad - gender roles carry on


That's my dirty laundry. Take from it what you will. Since I don't get any "Do-Overs" it is what it is.