Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I'm Lame

I tend to be pretty negative about myself so this wasn't that hard coming up with only three of my worst traits. 
Definition of trait:  A distinguishing feature, as of a person’s character. 
  • I'm impatient-I like things done when I decide I want them done. It’s embarrassing to admit but I’m really trying to work on it. I've heard about the Stanford marshmallow experiment. In short, a group of children were offered the choice between an immediate reward like a marshmallow or cookie, or two rewards if they waited an additional 20 minutes. The conclusion to this was that the children who were able to wait longer for the reward tended to have better life outcomes. My strong-headed-ness usually gets in the way - even if others clearly explain it to me, but it usually only applies to my personal life. Like people who I want to be with, bridging gaps, those things when pride gets the better of me. Ambiguous, huh? 
  • I have a temper (or to clarify, attitude). I think this would be The Ex's first one if you secretly asked him. My temper actually has drastically improved, but my tone still needs some work. I'm condescending. I'm sarcastic in a not-funny way. I'm nit-picky. I usually expect the best in people. I expect them to be trustworthy. To be on time. To tell the truth. To like me. To really get "it".
  • I have trouble saying “no”, so I get caught without enough time to do everything. I’m often trying to make everyone happy which can get in the way of my happiness. Sometimes I need to work on boundaries. And making time for the ones that count.

So there you go. I know a lot of people hate me for this. Don’t worry. The feeling is mutual. I hated, and still continue to hate myself for these traits innumerable times now. I also hate greeting cards. I’m doing my best to change and be a better person, though.
I feel like I need a hug or something. Except another bad trait of mine is how much I like physical affection. 

Tomorrow's post: something I was told about myself I'll never forget.

{Blading at the parkway last week}