Friday, June 28, 2013

This I Believe

I was reading a book at work a few weeks ago when I was assigned to sit with a patient who had a traumatic brain injury. Since he was asleep for 11 of the 12 hours I was there, I picked up a book I found in the break room that looked interesting entitled, 'This I Believe'. I read a few of the essays written by various authors but when I got to this one on Connecting With Others I didn't want to stop reading. But since my shift was over I had to go and leave the book behind. Here's the thing though, I kept thinking about it. On my drive out to Draper to pick up Morgen from his gf Katarina's house. On my bike ride. On the way to Wal-Mart. So I looked it up again today on the NPR website of the same name and read it again. I have posted it here so you can read it if you'd like. In discussing connection with others, I have often been chastised for co-sleeping with my babies, baby wearing and extended nursing among other things, natural child birth and not finding out the sex of my babies before they were born being the others. I instinctively knew what Isabel, in this essay, was saying: you only have what you give.  


{I loved being pregnant and giving my whole body to a baby inside me}

{I loved sharing my bed with these little guys}

{I loved nursing my babies}

{And carrying them with me where ever I went}

Like Isabel, I like to give much more than to receive. I am happier when I love than when I am loved. I love my sons, my sisters, my nieces and nephews, my mom and dad, my dog, and even the cat. lol I don't even know if they even like me. But who cares? Loving them is my joy. Give, oh give away. 

So here is what I have been wondering about tonight. What is the point of love if you don't give it away?