Friday, July 23, 2010

Dreams

What happens when you have a dream with in a dream, with in a dream? You get lost in a movie called "Inception".


I took the boys to see Despicable Me tonight and Ben & Morgen went to Inception. Since our movie was a little bit shorter (by an hour) than theirs, we went in to see the last part of it. I thought it was interesting  but while many people are raving about Inception, I’ve never heard so many expressions like “What was that about?” upon leaving the theater after seeing the film. I just thought I was confused since I had missed the first 1/2. And, although I don’t believe moviegoers are unintelligent, I can’t help comparing this movie’s transitions to someone reading the Cliff Notes of a Shakespeare play to a pre-school class. Inception becomes its own nightmare by trying to be too smart. One of the dialogue lines in the movie, “Whose dream is it this time?” was met with a chuckle out of me, as if the character was thinking the same thing.

I’ve read in a review that writer-director Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight) spent 10 years working on this story; so maybe that’s the problem with this overblown movie. While listening to an interview with DiCaprio, many of his remarks reflected some of my own thoughts. Some of his comments included: “We run around in someone’s head,” (viewers only have to figure out if it’s in the first, second, third or fourth level of human dreams, all which have different affects to the real world); “it makes you think” (until you realize you can’t rationalize it); “it’s really challenging” (you think?) and when asked to clarify the ending of the film, DiCaprio answered, “I’m not sure; you have to figure it out.”

If you like being impressed by some pretty cool CG affects, than you should check out this movie. As for me, I figured out rather quickly that watching Inception gave me a headache. And Max a backache, as he was sitting on one of the steps in the theater, while Markus feel asleep in my arms, I suspect he was dreaming of better movies.