Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Max's Walk-off Walk

In Max’s own words:
“It was the bottom of the fifth. I was the third batter for this inning – since Alex was the end of the line up and was up to bat first in the inning, then Stewart was up to bat, since he is first in the batting order and then me. Alex got on base and then he got in a pickle between third and home and was safe and made it home. A pickle, if you don’t know what it is, it’s if you are running to the base and you know you are going to get out, and then you run back to the base you were on while they throw the ball between the bases trying to tag you out. So then the score was 25 – 16 and if you score 10 more points than the other team in little league, in the fourth inning or above, the game is over. Stewart grounded out. Then I was up to bat. It was 3 and 1 and I got walked. My coach Rob told me to watch the pitcher to see if he was paying attention and he told me to steal second. I ran and the catcher overthrew it to the second baseman and it went into the out field and I stole third and then home and he couldn’t get the ball thrown in time. We won!!!

Everybody came out and started cheering and jumping up and down, pounding on my helmet by home base. I had done a walk off, walk, inside the park, homerun to win the game against South Davis and go to the State Championship tournament. I think this was the most exciting baseball game this year!”