Thursday, November 10, 2011

Got Hope?

My sister Sheri, and her son Connor are sleeping over tonight after they were able to attend Disney On Ice as a part of the Got Hope? organizations night out. Josslyn and Whitney were invited to attend as well. Josslyn loved it of course, since she loves all things Disney. Connor will be making his wish with the Make A Wish foundation in July (Sheri is teaching him how to say Hawaii even as I am typing this!) and will get to have one of his dreams come true. When’s the last time you dared to dream? Last night? Dreams are slippery things. Sometimes they can be bizarre and embarrassing, but I’ve also had beautiful, peaceful dreams that have wrapped around me like my favorite blanket. Many times I wake up with just a whisper of my dream remaining. Trying to recall any concrete images is like grabing at smoke. Only a few dreams leave any lasting memory, but I’m intrigued with trying to remember. But what about waking dreams—those personal ambitions each of us have (or used to have, at least, before life got in the way)? Those goals that speak to the very heart of who we are and who we want to become? We all have the capacity to dream. When we dream, ‘hope shines brightly before us.’ We may be out-of-practice or not yet learned how to dream. But those of us who are mothers didn’t know how to do that either at first. After we dared to dive in, we began to figure it out.