Sunday, November 13, 2011

I Flew Away Last Night

Yesterday after I finished with the primary program practice, I packed my bags and flew away...literally! My sister Darlin was staying about an hour away for the competition and test session this weekend and invited me to come up for her activity that she plans with every competition for her students. This time it happened to be at iFly, the indoor skydiving arena. I have never experienced anything quite like it. It almost felt like I was floating in the pool or something, but instead I was floating on air. If you ever get the chance, go! You won't be disappointed. Darlin went skydiving last year and she said it felt exactly the same way (only about a thousand times more because she was jumping out of a plane).

Darlin and one of her students last night at iFly

{Loving the Goggles!}
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Darlin and I went to dinner afterwards and talked for a couple of hours. Then we went back to her hotel and watched tv until I fell asleep about 10. I kind of had a sore throat already and knew that I needed to get up at 5:40 this morning for the test session. My student Amanda was taking two tests and about 11 of Darlin's students were testing this morning as well.
{Amanda and her mentor/friend/foster mother Paulette drove up early this morning}
{Amanda passed both her pre-juvenile freestyle and her juvenile moves-in-the-field test!}
Amanda was really nervous for her first test, but she passed by all three judges! She was pretty excited about that and the confidence from passing the moves test helped her to pass the freestyle test. I am thrilled for her and how hard she has worked to get to this point. I love to see her example of what hard work, and dedication can really do to help you achieve your dreams. I heard this quote in a movie I watched this weekend:
"Sometimes the things you want the most don't happen and what you least expect happens. I don't know - you meet thousands of people and none of them really touch you. And then you meet one person and your life is changed forever."

{I am so proud of Amanda and the example that she sets for me and everyone around her.}