Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tenderfoot

Of the many things I have learned about scouting, so far, it is the idea in my mind of this recipe: take one young boy, coat generously with sunscreen, toss him into the wilderness with two adult leaders and lots of his friends, make sure to occasionally lose him, teaching him to pray in scary situations. Add a large helping of silly scout songs, dutch oven potatoes, and a dash of freezing nearly to death in a tent and sleeping bag. What is accomplished is something rather remarkable. An Eagle Scout.


So, I buy the $30.00 scout shirt and a scout book. It will require lots of reading, goal-setting, reminding, and maybe some threatening, to finish.

Today my twelve year old son pinned a small tie tack to a simple ribbon hanging loosely around my neck. It had a little symbol on it. His first goals realized and first reward earned. The pin is for me as a thank-you for helping him. This help mostly coming in the form of driving him to troop meetings. I take in this moment when his arms and legs are skinny and awkward, when he stumbles a little during his first flag ceremony. I think of the sunburns, and prayers, and also of the leaders who’ll be molding him. I imagine him morphing into a stronger, confident, and spiritual kid. I wonder if all those lessons on hard-work and serving others will seep into my everyday actions as well. Can scouts make a mom a better mom? Will I mature along with Max, will my spiritual arms become leaner and stronger? I am grateful to know what scouts can do for a boy, and maybe I’ll come to know what it can do for his mother.