Monday, June 2, 2008

Mistakes and Marathons

So I have been thinking about doing this Blog thing for awhile now. I just didn't really know how to set one up. It was actually pretty simple, once I figured out how to put the picture of a peach on the left side of my title. (It is size to fit, if you ever need to know!) It is a great way to write in a journal and scrapbook at the same time. I am not sure who is going to want to read these entries besides me, but that is beside the point. The point is I like to write and express what I am feeling, my thoughts and ideas. So now I have a place that is more inspiring to me than just my journal notebook that sits in my nightstand drawer.

I was thinking about mistakes today. I am stupid and I have made a lot of mistakes since I was a baby, but usually I only make the same mistake once. I was thinking about that though and realized that is not true. I have done two marathons, so obviously I have made the same mistake twice! I actually have been thinking about doing another marathon though. Or at least going out and running 20 miles, just for fun. I was thinking that you can only go out on long runs like that if you are training for a marathon and it is in your training schedule. But why? Why can't I just go out and run for that long, just because it is a nice day and I feel like it? I can. And I will, I dunno' when though...

That is the thing about me. I have all of these preconceived notions about life and different things, that when I think about them, just don't really make sense. It is just the way that I thought before, it doesn't mean that it is the only way of thinking about things. Sometimes you need a change in perspective to see things in a new way or a new light. Some of my favorite movies are about that exact idea. Looking at things or people differently then you did before. Like Simon Burch or Chocolat or the Family Stone. I really like the message in them about life and your way of seeing things. I have been trying to examine my thoughts and beliefs about somethings and why they are a certain way. Was it because I learned it or was it just a thought or someone saying it was that way? Interesting, but not really on the topic of my blog for today.

So, I am sorry for the wrong things that I have done in the past and for the things that I haven't done yet. I will take the blame for all of them, and learn from them as well. Like my marathons, for instance. What did I learn from the ones I did before? For one thing not to sign up for one in the middle of the winter. How are you supposed to do long runs in 10 degree weather and the inversion when you can't go outside?!!! And another thing, sign up far enough in advance to give myself plenty of time to miss a few weeks of long runs and still have time to do them on another day or week. I think I really might do a marathon of my own choosing. I think that it might be better than the last two times. For one thing, I can breathe so much easier now that I figured out my allergies. I can try to train smarter and longer as well as have shoes that fit right. (I lost all of my toenails from the Des News marathon because of my shoes. And I had huge blisters on 4 of my toes from the Pacific Shoreline marathon from too small of shoes.) Maybe the St. George would be a good one. That is actually the one I was training for with my friend Heidi. She got in and I didn't, due to the lottery thing they do. So I just bumped up my training and did the Des News instead. (July instead of October, hmm, I wonder why I wasn't very well prepared for that one!!)

I am up for the challenge, why not? What have I got to lose, besides a few toenails?!!! :) I've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way. I am going to keep living my life with arms wide open, the rest is still unwritten.


"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? --Anne in Anne of Green Gables" — Lucy Maude Montgomery