Monday, June 9, 2008

Summertime


I love summer. Mostly because of the simpler way of life. I go from doing way too much to hardly anything at all. I usually try to have a backyard slip and slide party on the first day of summer vacation, but it was a little too cold for that today. So we just rode bikes and played baseball instead.


I noticed these flowers blooming today and was thinking about Shannon Hansen, who used to live next door. She planted them and then they moved a few years ago. The new neighbors were renting and weren't really taking care of that side of the flower bed so I kind of just took it over. I don't think they mind, and it really looks much better. Only I don't know how to tell which things are flowers and which ones are weeds. So I think in past years I may have whacked these flowers before they bloomed and had no idea what would have happened if I had just waited. They are beautiful, I just wish I could figure out what kind they are.
Oh, I almost forgot. I quit my job today at Challenger. I really couldn't leave my kids every day this week for training from 10-3. So I called first thing this morning and told them that I wouldn't be in and then I took all my uniform stuff in to Miss Brenda and gave her some cookies that I made. I really enjoyed working there, and I may want to go back someday. I am going to finish nursing school first and then I will see. While I was up in Holladay, I went up Valley View to Wander Lane. I love the house up there with the stream right next to it. I think the artist Donna Barton used to own it, although I don't know if she does now. I used to walk past it everyday thinking about how much fun it would be to live in it. That seems like a life time ago when Morgen was a baby. I loved to go on walks everyday with him in his stroller. Just being outside is so much fun to me. I found this quote the other day and love it.
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. As long as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be. And I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." — Anne Frank (Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl)