Saturday, June 7, 2008

Salem Triathlon

The Salem spring Tri was really fun, considering the race directors cancelled the bike. :( It was really raining badly when the race was supposed to start, so they probably made the right call. However, after the swim started, the rain stopped and by the time I would have been riding it was pretty clear. So the run was at least not too wet. It was, by the way, my best run time yet in a tri. (Probably because I didn't bike first!) Oh, well, maybe one of these tri's will actually have all three events! The swim was really fun, probably because the pond was so warm, and because it was shortened due to the rain. So it only took me 10:11 or something like that. I had a hard time seeing the last buoy because my goggles were fogged up, but other than that I think it went pretty well.

The run started off terrible. I hurried and grabbed my jacket in transition because I was freezing and I should not have. I was trying to put it on and my race number belt at the same time as I was running and I kept dropping my belt. Three times I had to stop and pick it up! I should have just left it and come back for it after the race. Oh, well, it probably only cost me 30 seconds tops, but still. Maybe I would've been 2nd instead of 3rd. Who knows? Actually I missed 2nd place by 8.1 seconds. Whatever, I don't really care other than I felt stupid having to pick it up so many times. The guy behind me was getting a good laugh. He actually picked it up for me once. So I learned a new thing from my mistake. That is good right? I will try to keep learning from my mistakes and find the humor in them. Isn't that what life is about?